Glossary – Terms and Acronyms
The following is a glossary of terms and acronyms used on this site.
- BAER – Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response
- CERF/CAER – Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF)/OFA Eye Certification Registry (CAER)
- DM – Canine Degenerative Myelopathy (see Diseases)
- Epilepsy – a brain disorder characterized by recurrent seizures without a known cause or abnormal brain lesion (brain injury or disease).
- Glaucoma – the elevation of the intraocular pressure (IOP) with associated optic nerve and retinal damage.
- HU – Hyperuricosuia (kidney) – elevated levels of uric acid in the urine.
- JRTCA – The Jack Russell Terrier Club of America is the National Breed Club and Registry for the Jack Russell Terrier in the United States and is the largest Jack Russell Terrier club and registry in the world (see external Links).
- JRTHR – Jack Russell Terrier Health Registry (see external Links)
- JRTRF – The Jack Russell Terrier Research Foundation will encourage, promote and support the development and/or maintenance of research related to genetic defects found in the Jack Russell Terrier.
- Myokymia – an involuntary, spontaneous, localized quivering of a few muscles, or bundles within a muscle, but which are insufficient to move a joint.
- NBD – Normal By Descent – means that either both the dam (mother) and sire (father) are both non-carriers or one parent and an ancestor of the other parent are both non-carriers. In the case of NBD, no actual test was performed. See FAQ for more information.
- PLL – Primary Lens Luxation (see Diseases)
- SCA – Spinocerebellar Ataxia (see Diseases)